I want to start reading more classics. The problem is there are so many out there, I don't know where to start. I want to invite anyone who reads this blog to leave a comment with the name of their favorite piece of classic literature. I'm open to all genres. I just think it will be interesting to see which ones people think are worth reading. Thanks!
11 years ago
8 comments:
The Robe
It's hard to choose just one. My favorite is Pride and Prejudice. I also love the Great Gatsby and The Age of Innocence.
I would suggest the Scarlet Pimpernel. Mom suggests A Tale of Two Cities.
of course pride and prejudice- but also great expectations and anything steinbeck... oh and i tend to really enjoy early 1900s jewish american writers.
I second The Great Gatsby. Oh and I'm sure you've read To Kill A Mockingbird, but it's always worth a re-read.
I just finished The Kite Runner. It's not a classic but definitely good. It's hard to recommend because some parts are a little too descriptive. I also loved The Messenger by Lois Lowry. Again, it's not a classic but really, really good.
I give a third on The Great Gatsby (my favorite book of all time). I also suggest Crime and Punishment, Notes from the Underground (also by Dostoyevesky), Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, On the Road by Kerouac, Cats Cradle by Vonnegut, Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, and Lolita by Nabakov. Perhaps not all of these are "classics" in the traditional sense, but they are all canonical works by some of the world's greatest writers.
I have so many favorites, but I especially love The Chronicles of Narnia. You've probably already read them, but they're worth a re-read anytime and they're quick and easy. Also, The Screwtape Letters, also by C.S. Lewis is always worth a read and gives you some context for when they quote it in Conference (which is coming up).
Post a Comment