Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Healthy Eating

I came to the realization a few weeks ago that most of what I eat are grains or dairy--not the most balanced diet. I made a resolution to eat more fruits and vegetables. I love fruit and vegetables, but they never seem to be as convenient as the alternative. So the plan I came up with is to substitute a bowl of cereal in the morning with something with more protein and/or some fruit or veggies. I have been eating a lot of omelets packed with veggies and as a result I don't snack as much.

 The second part of my plan is to eat a salad every day for lunch. For 3 weeks I have made a batch of salad jars at the beginning of the week. I just layer all the veggies I want, a protein, and pack in all the lettuce I can to fill the jar. Then when lunchtime comes I dump the jar into a mixing bowl, top with something crunchy (usually slivered almonds), and drizzle on the vinaigrette. I love it! I seriously think this is the best lunch ever. It is delicious and filling and energizing and healthy. This is way better than my typical quesadilla, nachos, or even a ham sandwich and I can feel a difference!
I have used all of the following in different combinations and it was all delicious:
bell peppers, cucumber, mushrooms, beets, grape tomatoes, feta, bleu cheese, diced chicken, garbanzo beans, hard boiled eggs, romaine, baby spinach, slivered almonds, crispy onions, balsalmic vinaigrette.
Yummy!
 I also cooked a spaghetti squash and substituted it for regular spaghetti one night. When I put lots of tomato sauce on it, it was quite good; by itself, not so much. While it seemed like a good substitute for spaghetti texture-wise and I liked the taste, it was not filling.  I found my self digging for snacks shortly after dinner.

And this stuff is not healthy, but it is oh so good and addictive! Have you tried it yet? It's at Costco. Go get some!

5 comments:

sarah e. said...

Very inspiring. I've seen the salad jar idea but haven't tried it. I ought to because I love a good salad for lunch.

I totally feel it too if I am not getting enough protein or fruits and veggies.

Another yummy lunch I like to make lately is a good pasta salad with homemade olive oil and vinegar dressing, chicken, cheese, onions, peppers and olives. You can add some spinach to individual servings each day to up the veggies. If I make it at the beginning of the week, Mike and I can eat it for several lunches.

Katie Sterling said...

So smart! I am so going to try this!!

Stephanie said...

Go cousin!!!!!! <3

Sarah said...

That is awesome!

Angela and Daniel said...

I've been trying to get healthier too! I always hard boil about 10 eggs at the beginning of the week and snack on those. And have you tried quinoa? A great alternative to rice packed with protein. I love spaghetti squash. I like to make it instead of potatoes in funeral "potatoes" and twice baked spaghetti squash (I just make it like twice baked potatoes) so yummy!


Gotta love the Moses Action Figure