Sunday, September 1, 2013

Blue Ribbon Champion!

Every year we look forward to going to the Western Idaho Fair. A week or two before the fair I mentioned to Nate that I thought it would be fun to enter in the fair. He came home a couple days later with a fair entry booklet. (best husband ever!) It turned out that we were days away from the entry deadline for this year. There was about a million and one categories for baked goods so I picked a couple and got baking. Nate suggested I make snickerdoodles and browned-butter chocolate chip cookies because those are his favorite cookies that I make. I wanted to do a third entry but couldn't decide what to make. I found a new recipe for blueberry muffins that I wanted to try and decided to make them for the fair.
I spent all day on a Tuesday baking and took them in minutes before the deadline that evening. The judging took was to take place Wednesday morning, but I had to wait until we went to the fair the following Monday to see the results.
It took us awhile to make it over to the baked goods exhibit in the far corner of the fair. Then we went from table to table looking for mine. First we found the snickerdoodles--nothing, then the chocolate chip cookies--nothing. I started to give up hope, but then saw my muffins with a blue ribbon sticker! I couldn't believe it! I was pretty excited, to say the least.

 Here is my excited reaction.
As a side note I went the next week to pick up my display, ribbon, and my $4 prize (I already had plans to buy half a burrito with that money) when I was told I did not win $4 but $54! Apparently the wheat grower's association sponsors a drawing for blue ribbon bakers and I won $50! That is a lot of burritos!
 
Part of the reason it took us awhile to get to the baking display was that Clara had been talking about riding the Ferris Wheel since last year's fair and she was determined to make it happen right away.


 Apparently riding the Ferris Wheel was a dream of Olive's as well (I think they hatched these plans together) so Andi and Olive joined Nate and Clara for the ride.
 The Ferris Wheel isn't the most exciting ride to watch (it sure stops a lot with all that loading and unloading) but the thrill on Clara's face every time she came around was worth it.
 Cute kids wondering why we are taking their picture.
 We left during the shadows of a beautiful sunset. It was a fun night!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Awesome! Congrats on your blue ribbon!

Grandma Honey said...

Hey that's what I like....you wanted to enter, you did, and you WON! Of course Clara couldn't wait to get on that ride. She is a girl with purpose! I love hearing about her through Elora's eyes.


Gotta love the Moses Action Figure