Monday, August 2, 2010

Look what we found when we got home...

We were in Idaho for 9 days (more about our summer adventures later) and look what we found out back when we got home!

Carrots and beets

enough lettuce to open a salad bar

green beans and snap peas

and out of control zucchini!!! Nate doesn't even like zucchini so I promised I would make him eat it, enjoy it, and not know he was eating it. Here's what I came up with...

Chocolate zucchini cake...yummm!

Grilled zucchini (ok this obviously wasn't hidden, but he did say he liked it.)

and pie! Not apple pie but zucchini pie!!! It looks and even tastes just like apple pie. Trust me it's good!!!
Any other ideas out there? I've still got tons more growing. Maybe next year we'll skip out on planting zucchini. ;-)

9 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Zucchini is the best. Love it! Did you know you can whirl one up in a smoothie? If you have fruit and other good stuff in there you won't even notice it. I love it best pan fried with onion and carrots in olive oil w/ lemon pepper.
I wish I lived near you Julie. Not only could I see Clara, but I could beg vegetables off you. Grandma Rozier would be so proud of your garden!!!!!!!!!!

Karen Mortensen said...

Very impressive. Good job. I like your ideas for the zucchini. I really don't like it either but they way you did it sounds good.

Put on a background.

Melanie said...

Looks great Julie!! You are a master chef as well; I am super impressed!

Ashley said...

Way to go! I might have to steal those recipes from you when we have a big enough yard. This year we ended up with about 4 tomatoes and 10 leaves of basil :)

Kristen Pace said...

Yum!! It was great talking to you yesterday!

Carly said...

Our garden is out of control. I get about 30 zucchini a week- no exaggeration. Please post your recipes! Do you have a good zuc bread recipe? I have a sweet muffin version but am looking for a heartier (healthier) kind.

Aunt Jill, you will be getting some veggies dropped at your porch shortly. :)

KaRynn said...

Fried zucchini. It's amazing. You batter it, fry it and dip it. YUM. Can't tell it's zucchini.

Grandma Honey said...

It felt nearly freaky because I was reading Carly's comment about her garden and thinking...oh I hope she shares some with us..and then I read further and see that she will! :))

Christina Bishop said...

Um, I think I need to take gardening lessons from you. WOW! I have tasted a zucchini cobbler, similar to the zucchini pie. It really is awesome.

So...if you need to get rid of some zucchini this year, we would be more than willing to take some off your hands :)


Gotta love the Moses Action Figure