Those were the lone words of advice (at least the only ones I remember) from my mom as she dropped me off at the dorms to begin my BYU experience almost 9 years ago. Her reasoning was if you date boys from Idaho, you will marry a boy from Idaho. Then he will make you move to Idaho and you will have to deal with Idaho winters for the rest of your life. Her words of wisdom were pretty convincing, that is until I met Mr. Wonderful (not to be confused with this Mr. Wonderful). You know who I am talking about. He swept me off my feet almost instantly, but he had one flaw.
"Mom, I'm dating this guy, and he's pretty fantastic." I gushed in a conversation that can only be had between mother and daughter. "But {dramatic pause} he's from Idaho." I waited in anticipation for what I was sure would be a disappointed response.
"That's great! I take back everything I said about dating Idaho boys. The people I have met from Idaho are all really good people," she quickly diffused the situation and eased some anxiety as only a mom can do.
As they say, the rest is history. We fell in love, got married, finished school, got our first "real" job, bought our first house, had 2 kids, got a new job, sold our first house, and moved to Idaho!
So here we are, where I swore I would never be, but I couldn't be happier! My mom was right, as she usually is. The only Idaho boy I ever dated convinced me to marry him. (But let's be honest, it really didn't take much convincing.) And now I find myself living in Idaho. She was right about another thing, Idaho people are just good people. That is one of many reasons why I am so happy to live here. But as far as dealing with Idaho winters for the rest of my life, well we will have to wait and see. But considering I've been living in Utah and Colorado for the last 9 years, I think it will be just fine.
2 years ago

6 comments:
You're a great writer, Julie! Good luck in Idaho! I'm glad you're blogging again! Will you be adding new recipes to the cooking blog too?
Cute post. We're headed to Boise in a couple days. What what are some fun things to do there?
Heather--thanks! I think I am abandoning the cooking blog and just posting recipes on here occasionally instead. I hope you're enjoying Connecticut!
Becky--I'm still learning my way around, but the Discovery Center and zoo are both fun. The Boise Hawks (semi-professional baseball) games are also fun.
Idaho people are awesome. I married one too. I would like to live in Idaho on the snake river. So pretty. Don't worry about the winters there in Boise. I heard they aren't that bad there.
I've only really visited Boise and Rexburg, but I was really impressed by both. Idaho is beautiful! I'm excited for you!
This is too funny. My mom's visiting teacher told me before I left for BYU to watch out for California boys. And what did I do? I went ahead and married one!
Must be something rebellious in us.
Post a Comment