Friday, October 26, 2012

Food Friday: Butternut Squash Soup

So, first off I need to apologize for a lack of pictures. My camera is dead and needs to be replaced. (Any recommendations on an affordable camera that takes decent pictures? I am thinking dslr, but nothing too high tech.) You will just have to take my word for it when I say this soup was simple, beautiful, and delicious! I have made variations of this before, but this one was my favorite by far. It uses some of my favorite fall ingredients, butternut squash and pumpkin! And it made a ton. I have half of it sitting in my freezer waiting for a rainy (or snowy) day.

(image from google images)

Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium to large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into one inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
3-5 cloves of garlic, peeled
2-3 Tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cans or more chicken broth
1 cup pumpkin puree
1-2 tsp. chili powder
1/2-1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup milk (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Toss the squash, onion and garlic in olive oil, salt, and pepper then spread evenly on the baking sheet. Roast the whole pan for 45-60 minutes or until the squash is tender.

Dump half the veggies and half a can of chicken broth into your blender and blend until smooth (be sure to vent the top). Dump into a large soup pot then repeat with the remaining veggies and broth.
*If you have an immersion blender simply dump all the veggies and broth into your pot and  blend until smooth.

Stir in the pumpkin and seasonings. Add milk and more chicken broth to desired consistency. I like mine pretty thick, but the size of your squash and onion will affect how thick it is. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I like to serve this with a little sour cream stirred in and croutons and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar on top.

2 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I love my little camera. Before I bought it I did lots of research, and then Real Simple Magazine had an article rating several point and shoot types. I got the one they rated as #1 and I've been very pleased. It's a Canon SD1400 IS. I keep it mostly on the 'kids and pets' setting because it will take great moving shots. McKay and McKenna have the same camera, so does your Aunt Wendy.

Ashley said...

I just made your soup (minus the pumpkin because I only have one can and I'm saving it for cookies tomorrow)! It was great. Thanks for the recipe!


Gotta love the Moses Action Figure