Monday, August 27, 2012

Bountiful Baskets

For those of you who haven't heard of Bountiful Baskets it is a produce co-op that is available throughout the country (I know most of you are in California and I don't think it is available there). For $15 you get a large basket of half fruit and half veggies and it's always really good stuff. I had heard about it in Colorado but never got around to trying it out. Once we moved to Idaho, Andi talked me into trying it and I am glad she did. So far I have done it twice. I don't think I will do it every week, but it is fun every now and then. I like to pick out my produce, so that aspect sort of bothers me. But it is exciting to not know what I am going to get and then be pushed to try new recipes. Every week is like Christmas with a new surprise waiting! This is what I got this week:

 One head of cauliflower, a bag of Brussels sprouts (my favorite!), a huge head of Romaine, several green chilies, 7 (seven!!!) yellow onions, 3 tomatoes, a big bag of cherries, red grapes, 2 apple-pears, 5 grapefruit, and 6 yellow plums.
So far I have made French onion soup (what else do you do with 7 onions??) and plan to roast the peppers and make a chilies rellenos casserole. We have been munching on the cherries, grapes, cauliflower, and plums. And I see a lot of salad in our future!
 And just for fun, here are some pictures I shot before church yesterday.

I had to record the day that Clara voluntarily wore her church shoes, not sandals. This came the day after she asked to wear jeans after a 6-8 month hiatus. She is so particular that it drives me nuts, but she may just be growing out of it!

3 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

That fruit and vegetable thing sounds wonderful. Wish we had it here.

Katie said...

My sister-in-law does the Bountiful Basket. It sounds nice but I'm with you about wanting to pick my own produce.

By the way, your girls are adorable! And I can't get over how much Clara looks like you!

Heather said...

Bountiful Baskets have always sounded so neat to me but like you I never got around to trying them in CO and I don't think they are available out here in CT.

Fun to see pictures of your cute girls!


Gotta love the Moses Action Figure